2.6.8 Grandparent Child Care Benefit (GCCB) - Eligibility Criteria
This section contains information that explains the GCCB eligibility criteria:
- what is GCCB, and
- who is eligible for GCCB.
What is GCCB?
GCCB assists grandparents with the costs of child care. GCCB is available to eligible grandparents (1.1.G.15) caring for their grandchild and who are in receipt of an income support payment (see table below). GCCB will cover the full cost of child care for up to 50 hours for each child in approved care (1.1.A.90) each week. In certain circumstances you may be able to get GCCB for more than 50 hours per week (22.214.171.124).
Who is eligible for GCCB?
To be eligible for GCCB, a grandparent must be:
- the parent of another parent who has a child who is the product of a relationship (whether same-sex or opposite sex). Great-grandparents who are looking after grandchildren are eligible in the same way as grandparents, or
- the current or former partner of a grandparent if they are the primary carer of the grandchild, and
- the sole or major provider of ongoing daily care for the grandchild, and
- have substantial autonomy for the day-to-day decisions about the child's care, welfare and development, and
- meet the existing eligibility requirements (2.6.1) for approved care, and
- be in receipt of an income support payment.
An income support payment is any of the following:
- age pension,
- austudy payment,
- bereavement allowance,
- carer payment,
- disability support pension,
- disability support pension (blind),
- DVA income support supplement or service pension,
- mature age allowance,
- mature age partner allowance,
- newstart allowance,
- parenting payment,
- partner allowance,
- sickness allowance,
- special benefit,
- special needs pension,
- widow allowance,
- widow B pension,
- wife pension, or
- youth allowance.
Act reference: FAAct section 41(2) Eligibility of individual for CCB, section 42 When an individual is conditionally eligible for CCB by fee reduction for care provided by an approved child care service, section 43 When an individual is eligible for CCB by fee reduction for care provided by an approved child care service
FA(Admin)Act section 50Q Determination of eligibility for special grandparent rate, section 50R Grandparents and great-grandparents, section 50S Eligibility for special grandparent rate, section 50T Secretary must determine claimant's eligibility for special grandparent rate in certain circumstances, section 50U Criteria for making determination, section 50V Notice of determination that claimant eligible for special grandparent rate, section 50W Notice of determination that claimant not eligible for special grandparent rate, section 50X When determination that claimant is eligible for special grandparent rate is in force, section 50Y When determination that claimant is not eligible for special grandparent rate is in force
Policy reference: FA Guide 1.1.G.15 Grandparent carer (CCB, FTB Part B), 2.6.1 CCB Eligibility Criteria for Individuals, 126.96.36.199 Eligibility Requirements for Up to 50 Hours CCB, 188.8.131.52 Eligibility Requirements for More than 50 Hours CCB