22.214.171.124 Requirements for Determining the JETCCFA Assessment Period
This topic includes:
- the limit on a single period of approval for JETCCFA,
- period of approval in weeks,
- the JETCCFA assessment period start date (1.1.J.90),
- school and tertiary vacations, and
- the JETCCFA assessment period end date (1.1.J.80).
Limit on a single period of approval for JETCCFA
JETCCFA can be granted for a maximum period of 12 months at a time, even though JETCCFA may eventually be paid to the person for a longer period.
Period of approval in 'weeks'
The JETCCFA assessment period (1.1.J.70) must be expressed in full weeks. A 'week', for the purposes of JETCCFA commences on a Monday.
JETCCFA assessment period start date
The JETCCFA assessment period start date is calculated as the date of the Monday of the week containing the day up to 28 days prior to the person lodging a claim for JETCCFA and the earliest of:
- up to 2 weeks prior to the start of a JETCCFA activity, if:
- the person's child has not previously attended the person's nominated approved child care service, and
- the child attends the nominated approved child care service up to 2 weeks prior to the person commencing their first JETCCFA activity for which the person requires approved child care (this allows the person to orient their child to the service they will use whilst they are undertaking their JETCCFA activities (1.1.J.20)), or
- the first day of the first JETCCFA activity in the person's Job Plan for which the person requires approved child care (if the person's child does not need orientation to the nominated child approved child care service), or
- the date the child commenced care (if after the first day of the first JETCCFA activity).
The JETCCFA assessment period start date may not be the same as:
- the date the first JETCCFA activity commences because informal care may be used for a period, or
Example: A friend may care for the child for a week or so, when the person first starts the activity, before the child attends the child care service and JETCCFA is required.
- the date child care commences because the person may have used their nominated child care service prior to entering into their current Job Plan.
A JETCCFA assessment period includes the period an eligible person is:
- obligated to undertake a JETCCFA activity as part of their Job Plan for which the person requires approved child care, or
- looking after their child who is on a school vacation (A person who does not comply with their participation obligations, because they have to look after their child during a school term break will be treated as complying with their obligations for the purposes of the period for which JETCCFA is paid. The meaning of 'school' in this section includes the 2 years prior to the commencement of primary school), or
- doing a course of study (1.1.S.140) or training (1.1.T.55) at an education institution (as defined by subsection 3(1) of the Student and Youth Assistance Act 1973), and there is a break in the course of fewer than 19 continuous weeks.
A JETCCFA assessment period cannot include a period other than a period listed above.
JETCCFA assessment period end date
The JETCCFA assessment period end date should be the date of the Sunday following the last day of the last JETCCFA activity in the person's Job Plan.
JETCCFA during a child's orientation period
A person cannot exceed their weekly limit of JETCCFA hours during a child's orientation period. A person's JETCCFA hours must align with their JETCCFA activity hours.
Example: If a person is assessed eligible for up to 24 hours JETCCFA, then they can only receive up to 24 hours of JETCCFA during a child's orientation period, irrespective of the number of orientation hours required.
JETCCFA during income support nil rate periods
JETCCFA is payable during a person's eligible income support payment's nil rate period subject to the JETCCFA activity limits (1.1.J.50) , and provided the person is otherwise eligible for JETCCFA (126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52).
Example: Receiving CCB at the maximum rate.
Policy reference: FA Guide 1.1.J.105 JETCCFA Job Plan, 1.1.J.50 JETCCFA activity limits, 1.1.J.70 JETCCFA assessment period, 1.1.J.80 JETCCFA assessment period end date, 1.1.J.90 JETCCFA assessment period start date, 1.1.T.55 Training (JETCCFA), 184.108.40.206 JETCCFA Eligibility Criteria - Mandatory Claimants, 220.127.116.11 JETCCFA Eligibility Criteria - Voluntary Claimants