2.3 When is a person eligible?
For an application for redress to be approved, the Operator must consider there is a reasonable likelihood a person is eligible. A person will meet the Scheme's eligibility criteria where:
- the person was sexually abused
- the sexual abuse is within the scope of the Scheme
- the sexual abuse is of a kind for which the maximum amount of redress payment that could be payable to the person would be more than nil
- one or more participating institutions are responsible for the abuse, and
- the person is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
Abuse is within scope of the Scheme if it occurred:
- when the person was a child
- inside a participating State or Territory, or outside of Australia, and
- it occurred before the Scheme start day (1 July 2018).
Despite what is described above, sexual abuse of a person by another child is not within the scope of the Scheme if the abuse did not involve physical contact with or penetration of the person.