1.1.I.115 Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship
An Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarship may be awarded by higher education providers to Indigenous students using grants from the Commonwealth Government.
Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships are provided for in the Indigenous Student Assistance Grants Guidelines 2017. There are 3 main types of Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships:
- scholarships that assist with education costs (known as Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships),
- scholarships that assist with relocation costs, accommodation costs, or relocation and accommodation costs (known as Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships),
- scholarships (known as Indigenous Reward Scholarships) that:
- involve a payment that is unlikely to be repeated, and
- are not intended to duplicate or supplement the purpose for which an Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship or an Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship is provided, and
- a recipient would not have reasonably expected, or necessarily anticipated, receiving.
Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships are part of the Commonwealth Government's Indigenous Student Success Program, which provides grants to higher education providers to assist Indigenous students undertake higher education.
Act reference: Higher Education Support Act 2003 Part 2-2A Indigenous student assistance grants
Policy reference: SS Guide 1.1.D.233 Disqualifying scholarship