1.1.S.290 Sponsor (SpB)
- a family member, OR
- an employer of a migrant.
Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) An Australian resident is a person…, section 23(14) For the purposes of this Act other than Part 2.11 and the YA Rate Calculator…
In the case of family sponsorship, the sponsor agrees to provide support and assistance to the migrant for a period of 2 years, commencing from the migrant's date of arrival in Australia OR the date of grant of the relevant visa, whichever is the later. This support includes:
- support to enable them to attend English language courses,
- ensuring they have adequate accommodation,
- providing any necessary financial assistance,
- providing information and advice to help them settle in Australia, and
- telling the person about employment in Australia and advising them of the costs of living in Australia.
Act reference: SSAct section 7(1)-'permanent visa'
An employer sponsor undertakes only to provide employment to the migrant on arrival in Australia, NOT ongoing support.
Act reference: SSAct section 10A(2) In this section and in Part 3.9 and Part 3.12A…
New residents who need a sponsor
A person who is applying for migration in one of the following cases must be sponsored:
- partner (including de facto),
- prospective marriage partner (fiancé/e),
- child (including adopted child and orphan relative),
- other family which includes:
- aged dependant relative,
- remaining relative (a family member overseas who is a sibling or non-dependent child).