1.1.S.410 Suitable activities (NSA, YA)
All job seekers receiving NSA or YA may meet their mutual obligation requirements through a variety of means, including undertaking a suitable activity or a combination of suitable activities. Such activities are specified as compulsory items in the job seeker's Job Plan. They are generally approved by the job seeker's employment services provider.
To satisfy mutual obligation requirements, generally a job seeker needs to undertake these activities as well as simultaneously looking for a prescribed number of jobs each month.
Examples of activities that may be approved as terms of a Job Plan include, but are not limited to:
- skill development such as
- heavy vehicle and equipment training, or
- computer skills
- vocational training such as
- first aid courses
- job search training
- approved voluntary work
- Work for the Dole
- National Work Experience Programme
- approved English as a second language courses through Adult Migrant English Program or other providers
- approved literacy courses through registered training or education providers under the Skills for Education and Employment Program
- approved short courses
- vocational rehabilitation programs
- participation in a Defence Force training camp or reserves
- activities to overcome or sufficiently manage non-vocational barriers to employment, and
- another activity that the Secretary regards as suitable for the person.
Note: There are particular rules relating to different categories of job seekers and the types of activities that they must, or are able to, participate in to meet their mutual obligation requirements. These are detailed for example in 1.1.M.160, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
Act reference: SSAct section 544B YA Employment Pathway Plan-terms, section 606 Newstart Employment Pathway Plan-terms, section 544DA YA Employment Pathway Plans-early school leavers
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.2.3 YA - Qualification & Payability, 3.2.8 Mutual Obligation Requirements for NSA/YA Job Seekers, 3.2.9 Mutual Obligation Requirements for NSA/YA Job Seekers - Suitable Activities, 3.2.11 Mutual obligation requirements for NSA/YA - exemptions, 126.96.36.199 Suitable Activity - Early School Leavers (YA)