188.8.131.52 Age Pension (Age) - Description
Objective of Age
Age is an income support payment paid to people who:
- have reached pension age, AND
- are resident in Australia (1.1.A.320) at the date of claim and fulfil residence requirements (1.1.R.210), AND
- do not have adequate levels of income or assets that can be used to support themselves.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'income support payment', section 23(5A) to (5D) Pension age
Age recipients MAY also receive:
- rent assistance,
- pension supplement,
- remote area allowance, and
- pensioner concession card.
Recipients may also be eligible to access the PLS.
Bereavement payment provisions
Following the death of a single pensioner a bereavement payment may be payable to the person best entitled to it.
How Age is paid
Age is paid fortnightly.