220.127.116.11 Widow Allowance (WA) - Description
What is WA?
WA is an income support payment that provides financial assistance to eligible older women who have lost the support of a partner (1.1.P.85), through death, divorce or separation and who have no recent workforce experience (1.1.R.80).
Since 1 July 2005, WA new grants were only made to women who were born on or before 1 July 1955.
From 1 July 2018, no new claims for WA can be made. Women receiving WA immediately before 1 July 2018 were 'saved' and can continue to receive WA.
On 1 January 2022, WA will cease entirely.
How WA is paid
WA is usually paid fortnightly.
Recipients of WA MAY also receive one or more of the following as part of their WA rate:
- rent assistance (18.104.22.168),
- energy supplement (22.214.171.124),
- pharmaceutical allowance (126.96.36.199),
- remote area allowance (188.8.131.52),
- pension supplement (184.108.40.206) if over age pension age.
They may also be entitled to the following while in receipt of WA:
- telephone allowance (220.127.116.11),
- HCC (18.104.22.168) OR PCC (22.214.171.124),
- pensioner education supplement (126.96.36.199),
- education entry payment (188.8.131.52),
- UA (184.108.40.206) if under age pension age,
- LLNS (220.127.116.11) if undertaking training through the Skills for Education and Employment Program.
WA was introduced on 1 January 1995 and will cease on 1 January 2022 when the youngest recipients reach age pension age.