126.96.36.199 Carer payment (CP) - description
Objective of CP
CP is a fortnightly income support payment for people who are unable to support themselves through substantial paid employment due to the demands of their caring role.
- a person who has a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability, OR
- a disabled adult who has a dependent child in their care. If the dependent child is aged 6 years or over, a person must qualify for and receive CA for that child, OR
- a child with severe disability (1.1.S.133) or a severe medical condition (1.1.S.130), OR
- 2 or more children, with disability or medical condition, OR
- a disabled adult and 1 or more children each with disability or medical condition, OR
- a child with severe disability or severe medical condition on a short-term or episodic basis, OR
- a profoundly disabled child or a disabled child (saved pre 1 July 2009).
CP may also be paid where parents are exchanging care of 2 or more children each with severe disability or severe medical condition or disability or medical condition, under a parenting plan.
The disability or medical condition for which the care receiver needs care must be either permanent or expected to last for at least 6 months (1.1.P.230) unless the condition is terminal or short term or episodic.
A person who receives CP for a child may automatically be entitled to CA.
CP is income and assets tested and paid at the same rate as other social security pensions.