Portability of CP under an Agreement

Carer payment

CP is generally portable indefinitely between Australia and the relevant agreement country.

When a person receiving CP leaves Australia or the agreement country for a third country, their payment may be cancelled immediately or after the statutory period of portability normally allowed when a carer pensioner leaves Australia for a non-agreement country.

A person who receives CP autonomously may be able to transfer to CP under an agreement to maintain long term portability. The terms of the agreement with the country they are travelling to must be checked to ensure that CP is covered and the person meets the necessary criteria.

Policy reference: SS Guide 7.1 Conditions for payment outside Australia

Last reviewed: 21 September 2015