Minimum Periods for Non-Australian Residents

People residing outside Australia

People who are not Australian residents usually need a minimum of 12 months Australian working life residence, 6 months of which must be continuous, before they can use the totalisation provisions. Once they have satisfied this requirement they can then totalise periods of Australian residence and periods of contributions in the agreement country in order to qualify for Australian benefits.

Last reviewed: 21 September 2015