10.10.1.20 General Principles of the Agreement with Portugal
The Agreement with Portugal is a shared responsibility agreement that helps people to qualify for benefits they might not otherwise get and conforms to the principles of Australia's shared responsibility agreements by:
- allowing people to lodge claims for benefits in Australia and Portugal,
- allowing people to totalise to meet minimum residence qualifications for Australian benefits and minimum contribution requirements for Portuguese benefits,
- allowing Agreement benefits to be paid in Australia and Portugal,
- offering income test concessions,
- prescribing the calculation of Australian benefits inside and outside Australia, and
- arranging for administrative cooperation between Australia and Portugal.
In addition to this:
- Article 5 of the Agreement allows Australian citizens who are considered to be Portuguese residents to contribute to the Portuguese Voluntary Insurance Scheme, and
- Article 23 of the Agreement ensures that any Portuguese benefits for work related or occupational diseases which can be paid under Portuguese law will be paid if the accident or disease occurs in Australia.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 9 Portugal