10.2.4.20 Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with New Zealand
Where claims can be lodged
Claims for Australian and New Zealand benefits covered by the Agreement may be lodged:
- in New Zealand, at any office of Work and Income New Zealand, or
- in Australia, at any Centrelink office,
Article 17 - Lodgement of Documents - of the Agreement allows for the date a claim is lodged in one country to be the date that claim is lodged in the other country.
Article 17 also allows for the date of a claim for a benefit in one country to be backdated to the date of an earlier claim for a corresponding benefit in the other country if:
- the claimant provides information that they have completed a period of working age residence in the other country, and
- the relevant competent institution receives the claim for their benefit within 12 months of the date of lodgement of the first claim, and
- the claimant is applying for age pension or NZS they have reached whichever qualifying pension age is higher at the time they claim.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 3 New Zealand