Who can Lodge Claims for Australian Benefits under the Agreement with Switzerland

Who can claim

The Agreement with Switzerland contains all the claim lodgement provisions discussed in 10.1.4.

Article 17 of the Agreement provides that a person with some prior Australian residence can be considered to be an Australian resident for claim lodgement purposes if they reside in Switzerland or a third country with which Australia has an agreement that provides for cooperation with regard to lodgement of claims.

However, there are 2 exceptions:

  • a claim for CP cannot be made outside Australia, and
  • a claimant for DOP need not have lived in Australia. The child, who is the double orphan, must fulfil the Australian residency requirements for an FTB child.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 20 Switzerland

Policy reference: FA Guide FTB child

Last reviewed: 8 February 2016