10.24.1.20 General Principles of the Agreement with Japan
The Agreement with Japan is a shared responsibility agreement that helps people to qualify for benefits that they might not otherwise get, and conforms with Australia's shared responsibility agreements by:
- allowing people to lodge claims for benefits in Australia and Japan,
- allowing people to totalise to meet minimum residence qualifications for Australian benefits and to meet minimum periods of coverage requirements for Japanese benefits,
- allowing Agreement benefits to be paid in Australia and Japan,
- prescribing the calculation of Australian benefits inside and outside Australia, and
- arranging administrative cooperation between Australia and Japan.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 23 Japan