10.26.4.20 Where People can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Poland
Where claims can be lodged
Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement can be lodged:
- in Australia, at any Centrelink office, or
- in Poland, with any of the Polish Social Insurance Institutions, and
- requests on certificate of coverage matters can only be made at the ATO or any of the Social Insurance Institutions in Poland.
Under Article 19, paragraph 2 of the Agreement, the date on which a claim is lodged with either of the above-mentioned authorities is the official date of lodgement for all purposes. This ensures that people outside Australia and Poland are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.
Article 19, paragraph 3 allows a claim for benefit under the legislation of a party to also be considered as a claim for the 'corresponding' benefit from the other party provided that:
- the claim, or request, is received by the other party within 6 months of the original claim being lodged, and
- the applicant stated on the original claim an affiliation with the other country.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 25 Republic of Poland