10.31.1.20 General Principles of the Agreement with Latvia
The Agreement with Latvia is a shared responsibility agreement that helps people to qualify for benefits they might not otherwise get, and conforms with Australia's shared responsibility agreements by:
- allowing people to lodge claims for benefits in Australia and Latvia,
- allowing people to totalise to meet minimum residence qualifications for Australian benefits and to meet minimum insurance period requirements for Latvian benefits,
- allowing Agreement benefits to be paid in either country,
- prescribing rules for the payment of Australian benefits inside and outside Australia, and
- enabling administrative co-operation between Australia and Latvia.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 30 Republic of Latvia