10.5.3.20 Benefits payable under the Agreement with Canada
Article 2 of the Agreement with Canada lists the Australian and Canadian benefits covered by the Agreement.
Australian benefits covered
The Australian benefits covered are:
- age pension
- disability support pension, for the severely disabled
- carer payment (for the partner of a person receiving an Australian pension)
- pensions payable to widowed persons (parenting payment (single)), and
- additional child amount payable (to people in receipt of an Agreement pension).
Note: Although listed as Australian benefits covered in Article 2 of the Agreement, from 20 March 2020, WidB and BVA ceased. Recipients of these payments were transferred to another payment, such as Age, where eligible.
Canadian benefits covered
Canadian benefits are covered under both the Old Age Security Program and the Canada Pension Plan.
The Canadian benefits covered under the Old Age Security Program are:
- Old age security pension, including guaranteed income supplement and the allowance for partners of recipients of old age security pension.
The Canadian benefits covered under the Canada Pension Plan are:
- Retirement pension
- Disability benefit, and
- Survivor benefit.
Note: Benefit, for Canada, means a pension, benefit or allowance payable under Canadian Social Welfare Acts as specified in Article 2 of the Agreement. More information on benefits under Canadian Law is available from Employment and Social Development Canada.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 4 Canada