Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Spain

Where claims can be lodged

Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement may be lodged:

  • in Australia with any Centrelink office,
  • in Spain at any office of the National Social Security Institute (INSS) or at any office of the National Employment Institute (for Spanish Unemployment benefit), and
  • in a third country with which Australia has an appropriate agreement, with the authority nominated in the Administrative Arrangement to the appropriate agreement.

Note: A claim for benefit from one party shall be considered as a claim for the corresponding benefit from the other party so long as the claimant has indicated on that claim that there is, or was, an affiliation with the social security system of the other party.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 5 Spain

Last reviewed: 9 November 2015