10.8.4.20 Where People Can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with the Netherlands
Where claims can be lodged
Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement with the Netherlands can be lodged:
- in the Netherlands at any office of the Sociale Verzekeringsbank, or in the case of DSP, Uitvoering Werknemersverzekeringen Gak,
- in a third country, with which Australia has an appropriate agreement, with the authority nominated in the Administrative Arrangement to that agreement, and
- in Australia, with any Centrelink office.
Article 21 of the Agreement with the Netherlands allows for the date on which a claim is lodged with any of the authorities mentioned above to be the official date of lodgement for all purposes.
Article 21 allows a claim for benefit under the legislation of one party to be deemed a claim for the corresponding benefit under the legislation of the other party, provided the applicant:
- requests that it be considered an application under the legislation of the other party, or
- provides information at the time of application indicating that periods of residence or periods of insurance have been completed under the legislation of the other party and the claim is received by the other party within 6 months from the date of lodgement with the first party.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 7 The Netherlands