22.214.171.124 Objectives of income management
Income management is a key tool in supporting disengaged youth, long-term welfare payment recipients and people assessed as vulnerable, and is aimed at encouraging engagement, participation and responsibility. The key objectives are to:
- reduce immediate hardship and deprivation by directing welfare payments to the priority needs of recipients, their partner, children and any other dependents
- help affected welfare payment recipients to budget so that they can meet their priority needs
- reduce the amount of discretionary income available for alcohol, gambling, tobacco and pornography
- reduce the likelihood that welfare payment recipients will be subject to harassment and abuse in relation to their welfare payments, and
- encourage socially responsible behaviour, particularly in the care and education of children.