18.104.22.168 Verification of Requirement for Medical Equipment or Additional Heating or Cooling (EMEP)
To qualify for the EMEP a claimant must provide proof that they, or the person they care for, require the specified medical equipment or additional heating/cooling.
This proof can be provided by submitting either:
- a signed declaration from a medical practitioner (available as part of the claim form for EMEP), or
- evidence that the person with medical needs, or their carer, currently qualifies for assistance for the same equipment (excluding heating/cooling) under one of the state or territory government schemes.
Examples of the evidence that can be provided, (except for heating/cooling claims) include, but are not limited to:
- copy of the letter from the state or territory government confirming the claimant's eligibility for their scheme, or
- copy of an energy bill showing that the claimant receives a subsidy in respect of a piece of equipment, or
- payment advice showing that a payment has been deposited into the claimant's bank account in respect of a piece of equipment, or
- advice that the device was supplied by DVA under the Rehabilitation Appliances Program.
All claims for a heating/cooling EMEP must be supported by a signed declaration from a medical practitioner.
Policy reference: SS Guide 22.214.171.124 Role of Medical Practitioners (EMEP)