220.127.116.11 Qualification for Medically Required Heating or Cooling (EMEP)
To qualify for EMEP in respect of medically required heating/cooling, the person with medical needs must meet the following criteria:
- the person has a specified medical condition, AND
- the person is unable to regulate his or her body temperature because of that medical condition and requires medical heating and/or cooling in their home, AND
- the person uses additional heating and/or cooling in their home.
Note: In determining whether a person has an inability to regulate body temperature, for the purposes of EMEP, consideration should be given to whether a person would risk serious harm to his or her health without medically required heating and/or cooling.
The specified medical conditions are as follows:
- spinal cord injury at or above the T7 level, OR
- stroke, OR
- brain injury, OR
- a neurodegenerative disorder, OR
- the muscular dystrophies, OR
- full thickness burns covering more than 20% of the body surface area, OR
- rare disorders of sweating including congenital absence or mal-development of sweat glands, OR
- chronic erythrodermas.
Act reference: SSAct section 917B Qualification for the essential medical equipment payment, section 917C The medical needs requirement