184.108.40.206 Exemption from RapidConnect Provisions
People who are exempt from the RapidConnect requirement are not required to attend an interview with their employment services provider before their allowance is payable, however they may still be required to be connected to an employment service provider. A NSA/YA job seeker may be exempt from RapidConnect where:
- They are not in a position to return immediately to the workforce because they are:
- They have an official exemption from mutual obligation requirements which could include (but is not limited to):
- a medical exemption,
- being a principal carer parent and having a large family of 4 or more children,
- having a major personal crisis, or
- having significant caring responsibilities.
- Another programme, service or activity is more suitable and they are aged under 22 and potentially eligible for a referral to one of the following Department of Industry, Innovation and Science programmes:
- Australian Apprenticeships Access Programme (for those already undertaking the Programme),
- The Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) programme, or
- Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP).
- They have applied for recognition of their overseas qualifications to an Overseas Qualification Unit or Australia Education International - NOOSR (AEI-NOOSR) and are awaiting a decision.
- They have a current and valid ESAt/JCA that recommends DES.
Note: If these job seekers have been identified for a referral to a programme and are RapidConnect exempt, and they subsequently decide not to accept the referral or there is no programme available, they must be connected to the relevant employment services provider within 48 hours of their participation interview.
- YA job seekers who indicate it is unreasonable for them to live at home.
- Access to, or the requirement to participate in an appointment is not possible for the following reasons:
- job seekers who live in a regional area where an appointment is not available or transport would not allow attendance within 14 calendar days, particularly in remote Indigenous communities,
- new registrants where there are no employment services provider appointments within 14 calendar days,
- re-registrants where the employment services provider is already linked to the job seeker and has no appointments available within 14 calendar days,
- job seekers who have an allowable break in registration for employment services purposes,
- job seekers who have attended a RapidConnect appointment within the last 14 calendar days,
- job seekers serving waiting periods, other than the OWP, or
- job seekers who require an interpreter, but the interpreter could not be arranged within 14 calendar days.
Note: These job seekers will still have the next available employment services provider initial appointment booked.
- The person is a principal carer and satisfies the following conditions:
- meeting their mutual obligation requirements by undertaking suitable paid work or self-employment of at least 30 hours per fortnight. These job seekers are still registered as fully eligible and may be linked to an employment services provider,
- NSA or YA principal carers transferring from PP who are already satisfying their mutual obligation requirements by undertaking approved study of at least 30 hours per fortnight including contact and non-contact hours. To be considered for this exemption, these job seekers must be studying the same course they commenced while in receipt of PP,
- transferring from PP to NSA/YA (other) as principal carers and are already subject to compulsory mutual obligation requirements are exempt from the RapidConnect process but are required to be linked to an employment services provider and attend appointments.
- People have a partial capacity to work and satisfy the following conditions:
- People with a partial capacity to work meeting their mutual obligation requirements by undertaking suitable paid work of 30 hours per fortnight.
- Job seekers transferring to NSA or YA as part of the DSP transition group (job seekers granted DSP between 11 May 2005 and 30 June 2006 who at their first review after 1 July 2006, are transferred to NSA or YA) with a partial capacity to work (PCW) undertaking study at the time of transferring from DSP can continue that course of study until its completion. To be considered for this exemption, these job seekers must be continuing to study in the same course which they commenced while in receipt of DSP.
- Have a PCW 0-7 or 8-14 hours per week. These job seekers may wish to volunteer for employment services.
- People have a temporary reduced work capacity (TRWC). Those assessed with a TRWC 0-7 or 8-14 hours per week will be exempt from RapidConnect for the duration of their TRWC (if not already linked to an employment services provider), however they may wish to volunteer.
- They are a mature aged job seeker who is in receipt of NSA and aged 55 or over and they currently are meeting their mutual obligation requirements by working at least 30 hours or more per fortnight in suitable paid work, self-employment, voluntary work, or a combination of these activities. These job seekers are still required to be linked to an employment services provider and have to attend an initial appointment.
- They are a student transferring from Austudy/YA (student) to NSA/YA (other) and are within 4 weeks of their student end date. These job seekers will have an employment services provider appointment made once their new claim is finalised and they become eligible for employment services.
Act reference: SSAct section 605(1) NSA Employment Pathway Plans-requirement, section 615 NSA not payable if person fails to attend interview etc. in certain circumstances, section 544A YA Employment Pathway Plans-requirement, section 547AA YA not payable if person fails to attend interview etc. in certain circumstances
SS(Admin)Act section 13 Deemed claim - person contacting Department about a claim for a social security payment, section 63 Requirement to attend Department etc.
Policy reference: SS Guide 1.1.P.418 Principal carer - study, 220.127.116.11 Suitable Activity - Study & Training, 18.104.22.168 Suitable Activity - Principal Carer, 3.1.3 Notification & Recipient Obligations, 22.214.171.124 Contacting DHS about a Claim, 126.96.36.199 Claim Determination - Payment Specific Provisions, 188.8.131.52 Provision of Information, 8.2.1 Transfers, 8.2.2 Reclaiming a Payment