18.104.22.168 Commencement & Cessation of Away from Home Rate of YA
Payment of YA at the away from home rate commences on the LATEST of the following dates:
- when the person ceases residing in the parental home (1.1.P.20) for approved reasons, OR
- when the person commences the activity for which approval to live away from home was given.
Payment of YA at the away from home rate ceases on the EARLIER of the following dates:
- when the person ceases the approved activity and is not given further approval in respect of another activity, OR
- when the person returns to the parental home.
Extension of approval
Approval of the away from home rate can be extended for young people undertaking training or education or job search if:
- a further course is undertaken, OR
- approval is sought for a different reason, OR
- employment prospects are better than in the area of their parental home, OR
- activities approved by their JNM are undertaken.
Example: A young person from Wagga may be approved for the away from home rate when they go to Sydney for a 12 week course. When the course ends, the young person may decide to stay in Sydney because job prospects there are better than in Wagga. The approval for the away from home rate may be extended.