220.127.116.11 Qualification for Austudy
Qualification (1.1.Q.10) criteria
To qualify for Austudy, a person must meet ALL of the criteria listed in the following table. If more detail about a criterion is required, the second column indicates where you will find this.
|Satisfy the activity test by undertaking qualifying study (1.1.Q.40), OR||3.3.4 Satisfying the activity test for Austudy|
|Is a full-time Australian Apprentice (1.1.A.324), AND||This topic|
|Be of Austudy age, AND||This topic|
|Satisfy the residence requirements (1.1.R.210).||3.1.1 Residence requirements|
A person satisfies the activity test if they are undertaking qualifying study.
A person does NOT satisfy the activity test if they have completed a course for:
- a doctorate or a qualification of the same standing at an Australian institution, OR
- a qualification of the same standing from an overseas institution.
Note 1: Secondary and tertiary students who are not undertaking full-time study, may still qualify for Austudy if they meet the requirements for concessional study-load students (1.1.C.290).
Note 2: Full-time Australian Apprentices do not have activity test requirements but are required to satisfy the definition of a full-time Australian Apprentice in order to maintain qualification for Austudy.
Act reference: SSAct section 569A Undertaking qualifying study, section 23(1) Dictionary, section 568 Qualification for Austudy - general rule, section 568AA Qualification for Austudy -new apprentices
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.3.4 Satisfying the activity test for Austudy
Austudy age is 25 years or more.
A person is NOT considered to be Austudy age if:
- at age 25 they are still undertaking a course which they commenced before they turned 25, AND
- they were receiving YA immediately before their birthday, OR
- they were undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship (and receiving YA) immediately before their 25th birthday, AND
- they are still undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship.
These students/full-time Australian Apprentices remain on YA until the completion of their course/Australian Apprenticeship.
Act reference: SSAct section 570 Austudy age
A person must generally lodge a proper claim before Austudy can be granted.