18.104.22.168 Notification & Recipient Obligations for Austudy
Notifiable events for Austudy
In addition to the common notifiable events, Austudy recipients MUST notify Centrelink with the 14 day notification period, if ANY event occurs which may affect their payment rate or eligibility. Events which may affect recipients' rates and eligibility vary according to circumstances and are listed on the back of each letter sent to them.
Examples of events that may affect Austudy recipients' payment eligibility or rate include where the recipient:
- changes activity, OR
- starts or discontinues a full-time course (1.1.F.230) of study, OR
- is not enrolling in the course as a continuing student by the end of the enrolment period, OR
- changes study workload to LESS than full-time, OR
- is not beginning the course on the first day it is offered, OR
- changes their enrolment in the course, OR
- is no longer a full-time Australian Apprentice (1.1.A.324), OR
- is starting full-time work, OR
- changes their residential circumstances, i.e. changes their address, rent amount, or if they move to government housing, OR
- starts or stops sharing their accommodation with others, OR
- has received/is receiving a disqualifying scholarship (1.1.D.233), ABSTUDY SSL, a start-up scholarship under MRCA, or start-up scholarship under VEA.
Note: This is NOT a definitive list of notifiable events.
Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 66A General requirement to inform of a change of circumstances etc.
Some notification and recipient obligations are common to MOST payments. Some of the common provisions include:
- the recipient or their partner:
- starts work, OR
- receives any money from investments, OR
- changes investments, OR
- has a change in their assets, OR
- receives compensation, or claims compensation, OR
- receives money from a superannuation or roll-over fund, OR
- receives any other money, OR
- receives any leave payments, OR
- has a child under 16 come into their care, OR
- has a child under 16 leave their care, OR
- is imprisoned, OR
- are intending to go overseas, for any period, OR
- have been overseas, OR
- the recipient:
- starts living with a partner, OR
- separates from their partner, OR
- starts a rehabilitation program, either private or with the Commonwealth rehabilitation program, OR
- applies for, or starts to receive ABSTUDY or another allowance.
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.3 Notification & recipient obligations
The reporting requirements for full-time students are variable (from fortnightly to nil reporting), and depend on the students' circumstances.
Example: Students with regular, high or variable income may need to report differently.