220.127.116.11 Notification & Recipient Obligations for DOP
Notifiable events for DOP
In addition to the common notification and recipient obligations, DOP recipients and ACOs must also notify Centrelink within the 14-day notification period, if any of the following events occur, or are likely to occur:
- the DOP child receives a DVA DOP under the VEA Part II or IV, OR
- the DOP child's circumstances change, OR
- the child cannot be considered to be a double orphan (1.1.D.240), OR
- a refugee child ceases being a refugee (1.1.R.110).
Some notification and recipient obligations are common to MOST payments, and explained in 3.1.
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.3 Notification & Recipient Obligations
DOP child qualifies for other payments
A DOP recipient is required to notify Centrelink within 14 days if the DOP child receives a DVA DOP under the VEA Part II or IV.
A DOP recipient is NOT required to notify Centrelink if the DOP child qualifies for another social security benefit or pension.
Explanation: This information should be received using normal Centrelink liaison procedures. A recipient is NOT required to duplicate these procedures.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security benefit', section 23(1)-'social security pension'
Policy reference: SS Guide 18.104.22.168 Payability of DOP
Child's circumstances change
A recipient or ACO is required to notify Centrelink within 14 days if the DOP child ceases:
- living with the recipient or ACO, OR
- being a DOP child, because:
- the whereabouts of the surviving parent become known, OR
- the surviving parent is not convicted of the offence for which she or he was being held on remand or she or he is convicted but sentenced to less than 10 years imprisonment, OR
- the surviving parent has been discharged from a prison, mental hospital or nursing home, OR
- the child is adopted.
Policy reference: SS Guide 22.214.171.124 Qualification for DOP
If the DOP child is a refugee the recipient or ACO must notify Centrelink within 14 days if they become aware:
- that the DOP child has ceased to be a refugee, OR
- of the whereabouts of a parent of the child AND the parent is living in Australia.
Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 63 Requirement to attend Department etc., section 64 Effect of failing to comply with requirement…, section 65 Medical certificate in support of claim for sickness allowance, section 66 Notice to obtain foreign payment
Policy reference: SS Guide 126.96.36.199 Continuation, Variation or Termination of DOP