22.214.171.124 Continuation, Variation or Termination of DOP
The payment of DOP is terminated if:
- the DOP child:
- dies, or
- is adopted, or
- ceases to be a refugee (1.1.R.110) unless the child still qualifies under any of the other DOP criteria, or
- stops living with the individual, or
- ceases to be an FTB child (except where the child is receiving a prescribed education scheme benefit), or
- receives a DVA double orphan pension or another other social security benefit or pension, or
- the DOP child's sole surviving parent is not convicted of the offence for which s/he was being held on remand or s/he is convicted but sentenced to less than 10 years imprisonment, or
- the DOP child's sole surviving parent is discharged from a prison, psychiatric hospital or nursing home, and is contactable, or
- the DOP child's sole surviving parent's whereabouts become known.
Death of a DOP child (1.1.D.240)
DOP is terminated if a DOP child dies. The following table shows the bereavement assistance that is available in this situation.
|If the recipient…||Then…|
|is an ACO,||no bereavement assistance is available.|
|is an individual and immediately before the child died, the child was an FTB child of the individual,||the individual can be paid a lump sum bereavement payment for a 14 week bereavement period.|
Act reference: SSAct section 1033 Continued DOP during bereavement rate continuation period where DOP child dies, section 1034 Lump sum payable in some circumstances, section 1034AA Continuation of qualification for DOP for 4 weeks…
Policy reference: SS Guide 3.1.5 Bereavement payment provisions
Individual receives DOP & DVA double orphan pension payments
If an individual is receiving a DVA double orphan pension and subsequently qualifies for DOP, a delegate must obtain a clearance from DVA. If granting DOP causes an overpayment, the amount of overpayment is withheld from the arrears of DOP payment.
If an individual does not notify Centrelink that they are receiving a DVA double orphan pension payment and simultaneously receives DOP, a delegate must:
- cancel the DOP payment, and
- calculate the amount of overpayment, and
- send a clearance to DVA.
If granting DVA double orphan pension causes an overpayment of DOP, the amount of overpayment is withheld from the DVA double orphan pension.
Act reference: SSAct section 1222(1) This Chapter provides the methods for recovery…
Policy reference: SS Guide 126.96.36.199 PP & DOP overpayments
The following table summarises the circumstances under which DOP is reviewed, and provides an example for each of these circumstances.
|DOP is reviewed when…||Example|
|the circumstances that caused DOP eligibility may change.||If an individual states the whereabouts of the sole surviving parent is unknown, DOP is reviewed biennially.
If the release date of an imprisoned sole surviving parent is known, DOP is reviewed on this date.
|Centrelink is notified that the circumstances that qualified an individual for DOP have changed.||A DOP child is adopted.
The parents of a refugee child arrive in Australia.
|the DOP child turns 16.||A DOP child may not be an FTB child when they turn 16 years (FA Guide 188.8.131.52).|
|the DOP child completes full-time secondary study - course end date is reached.||A DOP child may not be an FTB child when they complete full-time secondary study (SS Guide 1.1.D.240).|