184.108.40.206 Qualification for SA - Students
To qualify for SA, students who become incapacitated for study must:
- defer from their course of study, AND
- meet the other qualification criteria, AND
- be aged at least 22 years AND in receipt of ABSTUDY, OR
- be aged at least 25 years AND in receipt of Austudy.
Explanation: The act of deferral is taken to indicate a commitment to resuming full-time studies when the temporary incapacity ends.
Students enrolled in a course of education that is part of a rehabilitation program who become incapacitated for study may also qualify for SA.
Students who do not qualify for SA
Students do NOT qualify for SA if they:
- are currently enrolled in a course of education, OR
- have completed, abandoned or withdrawn from their course, OR
- are less than 22 years old, OR
- are between 22 and 25 years old AND in receipt of YA.
Explanation: For students who have completed, abandoned or withdrawn from their course of education due to illness, YA (incapacitated) is the appropriate payment if they are less than 22 years old or if they are between 22 and 25 years old, NSA (incapacitated) is the appropriate payment.
Students who are currently enrolled in a course of education and in receipt of YA (student) may be granted an exemption from full-time study or reduction in their study load due to a temporary incapacity (1.1.T.70).
Act reference: SSAct section 666 Qualification for SA, section 685 Full-time students, section 542 Situations in which a person is not required to satisfy the activity test
Policy reference: SS Guide 220.127.116.11 Qualification for SA, 18.104.22.168 Qualification for YA, 22.214.171.124 Mutual Obligation Requirements for NSA/YA job seekers/YA students - Exemptions - Temporary Incapacity