184.108.40.206 Supplementary & employment assistance for SA recipients
Note: SA closed to all new entrants on 20 March 2020 and ceases on 20 September 2020.
Those receiving SA before 20 March 2020 will continue to receive the payment for the length of their medical certificate, as long as they remain eligible.
There are 2 types of supplementary assistance that recipients of SA MAY receive. Payments that are included as part of the SA rate and payments that are in addition to the SA rate.
Recipients of SA MAY receive 1 or more of the following as part of their SA rate:
- rent assistance (220.127.116.11)
- energy supplement (18.104.22.168)
- pharmaceutical allowance (22.214.171.124)
- remote area allowance (126.96.36.199).
They may also be entitled to the following while in receipt of SA:
Bereavement payment provisions
Recipients receiving SA may benefit from the additional assistance provided by a rehabilitation program.
An SA recipient on graduated return to work who loses payment because of income (made up entirely or partly of employment income) may receive the following employment assistance:
- access to working credits
- payment of certain supplementary benefits during the employment income nil rate period
- continued use of their HCC or PCC for a certain period
- able to have their payment resumed during the employment income nil rate period if they report a fall in income sufficient for SA to be payable again.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(4A) Despite subsection (4) …, section 23(4AA) For the purposes of subsection (4A) …, section 1061ZEA Further extended qualification rule: loss of payment because of employment income, section 1061ZMA Further extended qualification rule: loss of payment because of employment income, section 1073J Working credit balance prevents loss of qualification in certain cases
Medicare levy exemption
This exemption is covered by the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936. A recipient who is paid SA MAY qualify for a Medicare levy exemption.