188.8.131.52 Effect of Deprivation on Eligibility & Rate
The topic discusses the effect of deprivation on:
- hardship eligibility, and
- hardship payment rate.
Effect of deprivation on eligibility
The value of a person's deprived asset (1.1.D.110) is disregarded IF:
- a person is in severe financial hardship (1.1.S.120), AND
- the hardship is NOT a direct result of disposing of the asset (1.1.D.210), AND
- the person would have qualified for hardship EVEN if they had NOT disposed of the asset.
Explanation: Deprived assets ARE included in the hardship rate calculations.
An income tested person is INELIGIBLE for hardship if:
- they have substantial deprived assets, AND
- the deemed income for the assets (1.1.A.290) caused the person to be income tested.
Effect of deprivation on rate
Notional income MAY be assessed IF:
- a person disposes of an asset, AND
- the disposed asset is disregarded under the hardship provisions.
Act reference: SSAct section 1129 Access to financial hardship rules - pensions, section 1130B Access to financial hardship rules - pension PP (single), section 1131 Access to financial hardship rules - benefits