22.214.171.124 Recipient Advice Before Departure
The following information is explained to the recipient before their departure:
- payment information concerning the rate and portability (1.1.P.310) of their payment,
- review information, and
- a reminder of the person's obligation to notify Centrelink about changes in circumstances, AND
- in the case of a PP recipient who is scheduled to attend an interview to discuss the commencement of formal participation requirements at a time they plan to be overseas, the ability to reschedule the interview to a time when they are in Australia (126.96.36.199).
Act reference: SSAct section 501 PP Employment Pathway Plans, section 1217 Meaning of maximum portability period, allowable absence and portability period
Payment information - rate of payment
Recipients should be given full details of their:
- social security entitlements during their absence, and
- rate of payment.
If a person's social security payment is paid overseas, information about the rate to be paid during their period of absence is to be provided.
Recipients should be notified if their social security payment will:
- only be paid for a limited period, OR
- reduce to a proportional rate or a NIL rate after 26 weeks continuous absence.
The recipient should be told about payment arrangements during their absence. Payments will either:
- continue under the current arrangements, or
- be made by CIS.
If advice about payment cannot be given before departure, advice should be forwarded to the person's overseas address.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security payment'
Policy reference: SS Guide 7.1.4 Requirements for Former Residents of Australia Receiving a Portable Pension
Payment information - sale of home before departure
If a pensioner sells their principal home to buy another home overseas, the capital amount from the proceeds of the sale that are set aside for the new purchase can be disregarded as an asset (1.1.A.290) for a period of up to 12 months. Any proceeds of the sale are deemed as a financial investment.
Act reference: SSAct section 11A(1) A reference in this Act to the principial home…
Policy reference: SS Guide 188.8.131.52 General Provisions for Assessing the Principal Home
Payment information - WP
Wives of Age or DSP recipients in receipt of WP and applying for portability at the same time as their husbands should be informed that a decision on the portability of their WP will be taken after a decision is made on the portability of their husband's pension.
The person must be informed that review forms which might fall due while they are overseas have to be returned by the due date to guarantee continuity of payments.