Granting a New Payment to an Overseas Recipient


Australian payments can generally only be claimed by people who are Australian residents, and in Australia when they lodge their claim.


  • A cancelled payment which is restored after a successful appeal.
  • A claim under an international social security agreement (1.1.A.120).
  • Under SS(Admin)Act section 12 - when a person is transferred from one payment to another without the need to lodge a claim.

Note 1: SpB and FTB can be granted to certain holders of temporary visas who are not legal permanent residents of Australia.

Note 2: Also FAO payments can be claimed from outside Australia, provided the person is an Australian resident.

A person may claim SA if they are temporarily outside Australia only where they have been gone for less than 6 weeks and the reason for their departure was for the purpose of seeking medical treatment of a kind not available in Australia.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) Australian resident

SS(Admin)Act section 32 Claims for sickness allowance, section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases, section 29 General rule

Last reviewed: 16 May 2016