8.2.1 Transfers

Claim not required

The Secretary or delegate may determine that a person be transferred from any income support payment to any other income support payment without making a claim provided that:

  • qualification for the 2 payments is either overlapping or continuous
  • there is nothing that would prevent the transfer being effected by the person claiming and being granted and paid the second payment over the same time frame as is provided for under the provisions for transfer without making a claim
  • the backdating of the transfer is limited to 13 weeks from the date of the decision to transfer. That is, the transfer should be backdated to the date of qualification or 13 weeks, whichever is the later date. This applies only to decisions made on or after 1 January 2008, and
  • it is not possible to transfer to a closed payment after 1 January 2008.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

SSAct section 23(1)-'income support payment'

Verification requirements for transfers

If a person is transferring between a social security pension or benefit either with or without a claim, they do NOT need to provide full POI if previous POI was acceptable.

If a person is transferring to a payment that requires more proof of age or residence, normal verification procedures for these details apply.

Example: Further proof of age or residence may be required when transferring from JSP to Age.

Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security pension', section 23(1)-'social security benefit'

Policy reference: SS Guide 2.2 Verification

Transfers to JSP or YA job seeker

Under RapidConnect, a person transferring to JSP or YA job seeker may be required to attend an initial interview with their employment services provider before JSP or YA becomes payable to them through a transfer.

Act reference: SSAct section 615 JSP not payable if person fails to attend interview etc. in certain circumstances, section 547AA YA not payable if person fails to attend interview etc. in certain circumstances

SS(Admin)Act section 63 Requirement to attend Department etc.

Policy reference: SS Guide 3.11.12 Initial connection to employment services (RapidConnect), Exemption from RapidConnect provisions

Transfers to DSP or CP

Apart from exceptional cases, a person must lodge a claim to transfer to DSP or CP. This is because the claim procedures for these payments are designed to ensure specific qualification requirements are met.

Explanation: Exceptional cases are limited to vulnerable people. Vulnerable people are those who have a mental health condition and either lack insight into their mental health condition or live in a remote community with little or no access to health services.

Application of transfer without a claim - Age

The most common form of transfer without the need for a claim is from PA, WA, BVA, PP, DSP, CP or SpNP to Age. The following table sets out procedures for these transfers.

New payment type Requirement for transferring to new payment type
  • People currently receiving the payments listed above can transfer to Age when they meet all the Age requirements. A new claim form is NOT required for these transfers.
  • People may be required to provide further details and documentation relating to age, residence, income and assets, including superannuation, and meet CFP requirements. A new claim is not required for these transfers.
  • DSP, PP and CP recipients likely to be adversely affected by transferring to Age should be contacted and offered the choice between payments.
  • Example: RA sharers or PES recipients.

Note: BVA closed to new entrants on 20 March 2020. Those receiving BVA before 20 March 2020 may continue to receive the payment until the end of their bereavement period, as long as they remain eligible.

Case where it is best NOT to transfer to Age

There are some cases where it is in the person's interests to remain on the original pension rather than transferring to Age.

Example 1: In some circumstances it may be in the person's interest to remain on CP, rather than transfer to Age. For example, if the care receiver did not have a partner, or the partner was not a pensioner or beneficiary, the carer receiving CP is entitled to a bereavement lump sum payment in addition to continuation of pension during any bereavement period.

Example 2: CP and DSP recipients can receive PES so are better off NOT transferring to Age.

Application of transfer without a claim - PP

Previously, under the SSAct, there were special provisions exempting the following recipients from having to complete a claim for PP:

  • a person receiving CP (caring for a partner) whose pensioner partner dies, AND
  • a person receiving PA who becomes qualified for PP because the person now has a PP child (1.1.P.340).

The ability to transfer these people to PP without a claim is now supported by SS(Admin)Act section 12. Section 12 also removes the requirement to complete a claim form for all other recipients transferring from another income support payment to PP.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases

SSAct section 23(1)-'income support payment'

Last reviewed: 20 March 2020