Bridging Visas


A bridging visa may be issued by the Department of Home Affairs to a person whose temporary visa has expired, or is likely to expire, before a decision has been made on the person's application for another visa. Typical bridging visas in this category are the BV-A 010, BV-B 020, BV-C 030, BV-D 040 and 041, or BV-E 050 and 051.

The purpose of the bridging visa is to prevent the holder from becoming an 'unlawful non-citizen' because of administrative delays. The visa allows the holder to remain in Australia, usually under the same conditions as the temporary visa they held immediately before the bridging visa.

There are also 2 subclasses of bridging visa that have quite specific applications, the BV F-060 and the BV-R 070.

A bridging visa is not a permanent visa, so holders do not meet the SSAct definition of an Australian resident. The Minister for Social Services has made a determination that allows holders of the subclass 060 Bridging F visa and the subclass 070 Bridging (Removal Pending) visa to have access to SpB, but none of the other subclasses of bridging visa have access to any payments.

Note: Australia is now visa label-free. Australia's electronic visa system does not require visa holders to have a visa label placed in their passport. Visa details can be confirmed online through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. However, some visa holders may continue to present with a printed visa label affixed to their passport. VEVO should be used to check if the information on the visa label is current and accurate.

A visa grant notification letter is issued by the Department of Home Affairs to each person who has been granted a visa. This letter explains visa conditions, including the visa period and travel entitlements.

Example of visa notification letter issued by Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Last reviewed: 4 January 2016