220.127.116.11 Cape York
The Cashless Debit Card in the Cape York Region in Queensland is delivered in the communities of:
- Hope Vale
- Mossman Gorge
- Doomadgee, and associated outstations.
The Cashless Debit Card in the Cape York Region is delivered in partnership with an independent statutory body called the Family Responsibilities Commission (FRC).
The Cape York Region became a Cashless Debit Card area on 17 March 2021.
Existing income management participants in the Cape York Region were transitioned to the Cashless Debit Card on 17 March 2021. These participants retain the restricted percentage set out in their notice (they do not default to an 80% restricted payment rate). While income management is still in place in the Cape York Region until 31 December 2021, all new participants will be triggered onto the Cashless Debit Card. The FRC will determine the restrictable payment rate of new participants.
The Cashless Debit Card does not automatically apply to everyone on a trigger payment (18.104.22.168) in the Cape York Region. A person is subject to the Cashless Debit Card under the Cape York Measure, if:
- the individual, or the individual's partner, is an eligible recipient of a category P welfare payment, and
- the FRC has given a valid notice to the delegate requiring that the individual be subject to the income management regime, and
- the notice has not ended or been revoked or withdrawn, and
- if the individual has a Part 3B payment nominee who is a Cashless Debit Card participant or subject to income management.
Once a person is on the program, they will remain on the program, even if they move out of the program area. A person will cease to be an Cashless Debit Card participant in the Cape York Region when their notice expires.
Consistent with income management arrangements, people on the Cashless Debit Card in the Cape York area are not entitled to the 'other expenses' transfer limit that allows participants to transfer up to $200 every 28 days from their Cashless Debit Card account to their unrestricted bank account.
Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 124PD Definitions, section 124PGD Program participants-Cape York area