Using the Guide to Social Security Law
Welcome to the Guide to Social Security Law. The Guide has been designed as a web publication (HTML). It is not available in a single electronic file or in paper format.
What does the Guide cover?
The Guide is divided into 11 parts as explained in the following table:
|Part Name||What is Covered|
|1 Key Terms & Principles||Terms used in the administration of payments/benefits, descriptions of benefits & principles surrounding the social security law.|
|2 Claim Verification||Policies regarding verification of claim information.|
|3 Qualification & Payability||What characteristics will qualify an individual for a payment/benefit, along with other assessment information, e.g. commencement dates, notifiable events and payability issues.|
|4 Income & Assets||Which payments/benefits have income/assets testing, what the limits are for them, and what constitutes income and assets.|
|5 Rates & Payment Methods||Current and some historic rates of payment, examples of payment calculations, information on taxation issues and advance payments.|
|6 Reviews, Debts & Payment Recovery||Various review mechanisms, all about overpayments, and what happens when a claimant receives compensation.|
|7 Portability & CFP||Conditions for payment outside Australia, and a brief explanation of CFP provisions.|
|8 Administration Act Provisions||
|9 Visas, Entitlements & Assurances of Support||Information about visas issued by DIBP, entitlement to social security payments and the AoS scheme.|
|10 Australian Social Security Agreements||Information about Australia's social security agreements with other countries.|
|11 Income Management||Information about income management and its application.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- SS Guide - Guide to Social Security Law
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- SS(IntAgree)Act - Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the Guide to Social Security Law.
- Keyword Index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.
- Act Reference Index - this provides a list of sections in the social security legislation referenced in the Guide. This can be used to search for topics that relate to each listed section.
The Guide has a number of links incorporated at various levels, including the following:
- Act references - links to relevant law on the Federal Register of Legislation website (see tip sheet for assistance navigating to a referenced section),
- Policy references - links to related information in other parts of the Guide, and sometimes to other policy documents.