Using the Guide to Social Security Law
Welcome to the Guide to Social Security Law.
What does the Guide cover?
The Guide is divided into 11 parts as explained in the following table:
|Part Name||What is Covered|
|1 Key Terms & Principles||Terms used in the administration of payments/benefits, descriptions of benefits & principles surrounding the social security law.|
|2 Claim Verification||Policies regarding verification of claim information.|
|3 Qualification & Payability||What characteristics will qualify a claimant/recipient, along with other information regarding the assessment, for example commencement dates, notifiable events and payability issues.|
|4 Income & Assets||Which payments/benefits have income/assets testing, what the limits are for them, and what constitutes income and assets.|
|5 Rates & Payment Methods||Current and some historic rates for all payments along with information about how payments are made, for example advances, direct credits and periodicity.|
|6 Reviews, Debts & Payment Recovery||Various review mechanisms, all about overpayments, and what happens when a claimant receives compensation.|
|7 Portability & CFP||Conditions for payment outside Australia, and a brief explanation of comparable foreign payment provisions.|
|8 Administration Act Provisions||
Provides guidance on:
|9 Visas, Entitlements & Assurances of Support||Information about visas issued by DIAC, entitlement to social security payments and the AoS scheme.|
|10 Australian Social Security Agreements||Information about Australia's social security agreements with other countries.|
|11 Income Management||Information about income management and its application.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- SS Guide - Guide to Social Security Law
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- SS(IntAgree)Act - Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the Guide to Social Security Law.
- Keyword Index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.
- Act Reference Index - this provides a list of sections in the social security legislation referenced in the Guide. This can be used to search for topics that relate to each listed section.
The Guide has a number of links incorporated at various levels, including the following:
- Act references - links to relevant law on the ComLaw website (see tip sheet for assistance navigating to a referenced section),
- Policy references - links to related information in other parts of the Guide, and sometimes to other policy documents.