Using the Paid Parental Leave Guide
Welcome to the Paid Parental Leave Guide. The Guide has been designed as a web publication (HTML). It is not available in a single electronic file or in paper format.
What does the Guide cover?
The Guide is divided into 9 parts as explained in the following table:
|Part Name||What is Covered|
|1 Key Terms & Principles||Terms used in this Guide. Basic description of the scheme and its objectives, (including PLP and DAPP) and impacts of PLP and DAPP on other entitlements. Principles provided for in the PPLAct.|
|2 Eligibility for PLP & DAPP||Differences between PLP and DAPP. Eligibility for PLP - work test, income test, residency test, primary carer, primary, secondary or tertiary claimant, not have returned to work, claimant deceased. Eligibility for DAPP - work test, income test, residency test, caring for child, not working and not on paid leave, interactions with PLP or other DAPP claims.|
|3 Rate Calculation for PLP & DAPP||Rate of pay for PLP and DAPP. Historical rates for PLP and DAPP.|
|4 Claims & Payments for PLP||Claims and payments for PLP - effective claims, requirements of a claim, when to claim, withdrawal or variation of claim, claims for PLP and baby bonus for the same child. Payments of PLP - role of Centrelink and employer. Instalments of PLP - instalments, deductions, payments by employer, PPL funding amounts, obligations of employer, when Centrelink provides PLP, payment of arrears, rules for paying instalments.|
|5 Claims & Payments for DAPP||Claims for DAPP - effective claims, requirements of a claim, when to claim, withdrawal or variation of a claim. Payment of DAPP - how it is paid, when it is paid, general payment provisions.|
|6 Determinations||Employer determinations for PLP - making determinations, notices of determinations, acceptance of determinations, acceptances and determinations following review, when a determination is in force, revocation, notice of employer decisions. Initial eligibility and payability determinations for PLP. Initial eligibility and payability determinations for DAPP.|
|7 Compliance & Enforcement||Gathering information - power to obtain information, confidentiality, offences against the Criminal Code. Compliance - referring matters to the FWO, compliance notices, infringement notices, civil penalty orders. Debt recovery - where debts may arise, debt notices, interest on debts, methods of recovery, writing off debts, waiver of debts, overseas application of debts.|
|8 Review of Decisions||Internal reviews - own initiative reviews, reviews following application, withdrawal of application, when a review decision comes into force, notice of decision. SSAT reviews - reviews of claimant and employer decisions, procedural matters, notice of decisions, correction of errors, appeals to Federal Court. AAT reviews of claimant decisions - decisions to be reviewed, settlement of proceedings before AAT.|
|9 Miscellaneous||Application of PPLAct in particular circumstances - adopted child, exceptional circumstances, child stillborn or dies, Commonwealth employees, non-employees and non-employers. Nominees - payment nominees, correspondence nominees, suspension or cancellation of appointments, responsibilities, protections. Other matters - general administration and delegation, decisions.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
- PPL Rules - Paid Parental Leave Rules 2010
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- SS Guide - Guide to Social Security Law
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- SS(IntAgree)Act - Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the Paid Parental Leave Guide.
- Keyword Index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.
- Act Reference Index - this provides a list of sections in the paid parental leave scheme legislation referenced in the Guide. This can be used to search for topics that relate to each listed section.
The Guide has a number of links incorporated at various levels, including the following:
- Act references - links to relevant law on the ComLaw website (see tip sheet for assistance navigating to a referenced section).
- Policy references - links to related information in other parts of the Guide, and sometimes to the Family Assistance Guide (FA Guide) or Guide to Social Security Law (SS Guide).