Using the Family Assistance Guide
Welcome to the Family Assistance Guide. The Guide has been designed as a web publication (HTML). It is not available in a single electronic file or in paper format.
What does the Guide cover?
The Guide is divided into 8 parts as explained in the following table:
|Part Name||What is Covered|
|1 Key Terms & Principles||This part contains definitions of key terms used in this Guide and basic descriptions of the various payments and benefits provided for in the FA legislation and JETCCFA.|
|2 Eligibility||This part covers eligibility for all the payments made under FA legislation and JETCCFA.|
|3 Rate Calculation||This part covers calculation of rates of payment under the FA legislation and JETCCFA.|
|4 Claims & Payments||This part contains information on claiming payments administered under the FA legislation and JETCCFA. Common provisions for FA payments are contained in Chapter 1. Policy specific to particular payments is described separately.|
|5 Gathering Information||This part covers information on the legislative basis for gathering and sharing information about individuals and their FA entitlements.|
|6 Review & Reconciliation||This part covers the review process in place for decision on FA and JETCCFA made by Centrelink agencies, as well as the reconciliation of some FA payments.|
|7 Debts||This part covers information about FA and other debts (1.1.D.60). It also discusses the various methods by which FA and other debts may be recovered.|
|8 Transitional Arrangements||This part covers transitional arrangements for FA payments that have been altered or discontinued.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- SS Guide - Guide to Social Security Law
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- SS(IntAgree)Act - Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the Family Assistance Guide.
- Keyword Index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.
- Act Reference Index - this provides a list of sections in the family assistance legislation referenced in the Guide. This can be used to search for topics that relate to each listed section.
The Guide has a number of links incorporated at various levels, including the following:
- Act references - links to relevant law on the Federal Register of Legislation website (see tip sheet for assistance navigating to a referenced section),
- Policy references - links to related information in other parts of the Guide, and sometimes to other policy documents.