Using the Family Assistance Guide
Welcome to the Family Assistance Guide. The Guide has been designed as a web publication (HTML). It is not available in a single electronic file or in paper format.
What does the Guide cover?
The Guide is divided into 8 parts as explained in the following table:
|Part Name||What is Covered|
|1 Key terms & principles||This part contains definitions of key terms used in this Guide and basic descriptions of the various payments and benefits provided for in the FA legislation.|
|2 Eligibility||This part covers eligibility for all the payments made under FA legislation.|
|3 Rate Calculation||This part covers calculation of rates of payment under the FA legislation.|
|4 Claims & Payments||This part contains information on claiming payments administered under the FA legislation. Common provisions for FA payments are contained in 4.1. Policy specific to particular payments is described separately.|
|5 Gathering Information||This part covers information on the legislative basis for gathering and sharing information about individuals and their FA entitlements.|
|6 Review & Reconciliation||This part covers the review process in place for decision on FA made by Centrelink agencies, as well as the reconciliation of some FA payments.|
|7 Debts||This part covers information about FA and other debts (1.1.D.60). It also discusses the various methods by which FA and other debts may be recovered.|
|8 Transitional Arrangements||This part covers transitional arrangements for FA payments that have been altered or discontinued.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- CCSMinRules - Child Care Subsidy Minister's Rules 2017
- CCSSecRules - Child Care Subsidy Secretary's Rules 2017
- SS Guide - Social Security Guide
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- SS(IntAgree)Act - Social Security (International Agreements) Act 1999
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
- CS Guide - Child Support Guide
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the FA Guide.
- Keyword Index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.
- Act Reference Index - this provides a list of sections in the family assistance legislation referenced in the Guide. This can be used to search for topics that relate to each listed section.
The Guide has a number of links incorporated at various levels, including the following:
- Act references - links to relevant law on the Federal Register of Legislation website (see tip sheet for assistance navigating to a referenced section).
- Policy references - links to related information in other parts of the Guide, and sometimes to other policy documents.