Using the Child Support Guide
Welcome to the Child Support Guide (CS Guide). The CS Guide has been designed as a web publication (HTML) and is not available in a single electronic file or in paper format.
What does the CS Guide cover?
The CS Guide is divided into 6 parts:
|Part name||What is covered|
|1 About the scheme||The objects of the child support scheme, the background of the scheme and a brief history of legislative amendments, as well as policy relating to Australian residence and overseas cases.|
|2 Child support assessments||Policy relating to child support assessments, including applications for assessment, care, the child support formula and the change of assessment process.|
|3 Registrable maintenance liabilities||Explanation of the types of registrable maintenance liabilities, notification requirements, how court orders are varied, and the registration of overseas child support orders, court registered agreements and liabilities.|
|4 Objecting, seeking a review, appealing & applying to court||Policy relating to objections, reviews, appeals and court applications under the child support legislation.|
|5 Collecting child support||Explanation of child support collection options and administrative enforcement of child support liabilities.|
|6 Administration||Description of the various provisions that affect how the Registrar administers child support cases, including privacy and secrecy, freedom of information, offences and prosecution, and other administrative matters.|
Use of abbreviations
For ease of reference the following abbreviations are used in the Guide:
- CSRC Act - Child Support (Registration and Collection) Act 1988
- CSA Act - Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989
- CSRC Regs - Child Support (Registration and Collection) Regulations 2018
- CSA Regs - Child Support (Assessment) Regulations 2018
- FL Act - Family Law Act 1975
- FL Regs - Family Law Regulations 1984
- FA Guide - Family Assistance Guide
- FAAct - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- FA(Admin)Act - A New Tax System (Family Assistance) (Administration) Act 1999
- SS Guide - Social Security Guide
- SSAct - Social Security Act 1991
- SS(Admin)Act - Social Security (Administration) Act 1999
- PPL Guide - Paid Parental Leave Guide
- PPLAct - Paid Parental Leave Act 2010
- AAT Act - Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975
The following features are provided to assist in finding relevant information:
- Search - type your search term (words or phrases) in the search box at the top of the page. The Advanced search on the results page allows a search to be limited to a specific Guide or Guides.
- Site map - gives an overall picture of the structure of the Child Support Guide.
- Keyword index - this provides an extensive list of words which can be used to search for specific topics.