126.96.36.199 Qualification for ES
Qualification (1.1.Q.10) criteria - for pensioners & income support recipients
- residing in Australia, AND
- in Australia or temporarily absent from Australia for a continuous period not exceeding the allowed portability period for the qualifying payment.
Note: Where a person's qualifying payment can be paid for longer than 6 weeks, for example: Age and DSP (for those with indefinite portability), the ES is only payable for the first 6 weeks of a temporary absence from Australia.
Qualifying payments for the ES:
- age pension, OR
- DSP (aged 21 or over, or aged under 21 with dependent children), OR
- carer payment, OR
- parenting payment (single), OR
- bereavement allowance, OR
- jobseeker payment, OR
- parenting payment (partnered), OR
- partner allowance, OR
- sickness allowance, OR
- SpB (whose rate is worked out as if the person were qualified for JSP), OR
- widow allowance, OR
- youth allowance, OR
- austudy payment, OR
- DSP (aged under 21 without dependent children), OR
- SpB (whose rate is worked out as if the person were qualified for Austudy or YA).
Note: ES payments may also be paid to qualified payment recipients under the following legislation and administrative schemes:
- the A New Tax System (Family Assistance) Act 1999
- the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986
- the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004
- the ABSTUDY scheme.
Recipients of ECRPs paid under the Farm Household Support Act 1992 will receive the same rate of ES as either a YA or JSP recipient (depending on which rate their ECRP is linked to).
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'clean energy qualifying payment'
Qualification criteria - for CSHC holders
To qualify for ES, a person must be the holder of a CSHC. From 20 March 2017 the ES was closed to new CSHC holders. Refer to 188.8.131.52 for more details.
Act reference: SSAct section 1061U Qualification for ES, section 1061ZUB Non-cancellation of concession cards for temporary overseas absences
A pensioner or income support payment recipient does not need to make a specific claim in order to qualify for an ES. The ES will be automatically included in the calculation of the rate of a person's qualifying payment if the person meets the qualification criteria.
CSHC holders, to whom a positive amount of ES is payable, do not need to make a specific claim for ES as the payment is linked to the card.