5.2.1 Counselling & psychological care - determining a participating institution’s component method statement
To determine a participating institution's counselling and psychological services contribution, when there are multiple responsible participating institutions, the following methodology applies. Firstly, determine the counselling and psychological services tier applicable to the person ($5,000, $2,500 or $1,250) outlined in the table in topic 5.2.
Once the relevant tier has been determined use the relevant amount in the following method:
- Amount of the component × The institution's gross liability amount worked out under step 7 of the redress payment method statement for the person ÷ Total of gross liability amounts of all participating responsible institutions worked out under step 7 of the redress payment method statement for the person (5.1.1)
The full costs of the counselling and psychological component are shared amongst participating responsible institutions only. It is not adjusted or reduced by the inclusion of non-participating institutions, unlike the redress monetary payment. This is to ensure that people receive their full counselling and psychological care entitlement and able to adequately access these services.
For example, 2 institutions are found equally responsible for the abuse of a person - both are participating in the Scheme. The total gross liability is $150,000 ($75,000 per institution) and the counselling and psychological services component is $5,000. To determine an institution's share of the costs of the counselling and psychological services component, the following formula is used:
- $5,000 (amount of counselling and psychological services component) × $75,000 (the institution's gross liability amount) = $375,000,000
- $375,000,000 ÷ $150,000 (the total of gross liability amounts of all participating responsible institutions) = $2,500 counselling and psychological services costs per institution
Using the same scenario, if one of the institutions was not participating in the Scheme, to calculate the counselling and psychological component costs for the participating institution, the following formula would be used:
- $5,000 (amount of CPC component) × $75,000 (the institution's gross liability amount = $375,000,000
- $375,000,000 ÷ $75,000 (the total of gross liability amounts of all participating responsible institutions) = $5,000 CPC costs for the institution