The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia.

2.2.7 Jobseeker payment & youth allowance verification


The following table lists the verification required for the payments/benefits in the JSP and YA grouping. If more detail is required about specific verification, the second column indicates where you will find this.

Verification required More detail
Proof of identity 2.2.1 Verifying identity
Age 2.2.2 Verifying personal details
Income - necessary for IMP  
Income - necessary for SWPP  
Assets - necessary for LAWP  
Residence - necessary for NARWP Residence requirements
Most recent employment See this topic

Verification of most recent employment

If a JSP recipient/claimant was previously employed, details of their most recent employment before approving payment must be confirmed.

Explanation: Without this the delegate cannot determine if:

  • the person is genuinely unemployed
  • lump sum leave or termination payments paid or owed in respect of termination will result in the imposition of an IMP period
  • the job was temporary and higher than average wages were received the SWPP may apply, and
  • the potential level of liquid assets to be expected at the time of claiming.

A person who was employed in the 12 months before claiming must provide an 'Employment Separation Certificate' from:

  • their most recent employer, and
  • any other employer who may have paid a leave payment sufficient to cause an IMP to be imposed.

If this certificate is not provided when the claim is lodged, the person MUST be asked to obtain one.

Explanation: If the person fails to provide a certificate without a reasonable excuse the claim should be rejected as JSP is not payable.

Act reference: SSAct section 10A(2)-'employment'

Employment Separation Certificate

An Employment Separation Certificate provides the following employment details:

  • the date the person ceased work
  • the period and amount of any leave or redundancy payments received at termination of employment
  • the person's regular weekly wage
  • the amount of the person's final payment
  • the amount of any monies still owed by the employer to the person
  • reasons for ceasing employment
  • if a person left work as a result of industrial action or voluntarily, and
  • any personal injury compensation details.

A former employer is required to provide this statement about their employment to a former employee on request. All the information can be provided on a company letterhead as an alternative to an Employment Separation Certificate form.

People not required to provide a certificate

A person is NOT required to provide an Employment Separation Certificate if they have NOT been employed in the last 12 months.

A person who was employed in the last 12 months should NOT be expected to provide an Employment Separation Certificate if:

  • the person suffered sexual harassment or violence at the workplace, OR
  • the previous employer has ceased business.

If the person is not required to provide an Employment Separation Certificate, verification should be obtained by:

  • phoning the employer, or
  • sending out a letter requesting an Employment Separation Certificate.

If the employer has ceased business alternative methods of verification should be considered.

Example: Checking the person's:

  • last pay slip, or
  • letters of termination or resignation.

Verifying the Employment Separation Certificate

It is necessary to check that an Employment Separation Certificate has:

  • been fully completed
  • been signed by the employer, AND
  • not been altered.

If it appears that the person has made alterations, or the form has been completed with more than one pen, the employer should be contacted by telephone immediately to confirm the details supplied on the form. If this is not possible, the original should be kept on file and the person should be advised that a new certificate is required.

Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 200 Offence-failure to give end-of-employment statement

Last reviewed: