The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. TheĀ information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Granting a new payment to an overseas recipient


Australian payments can generally only be claimed by people who are Australian residents, and in Australia when they lodge their claim.

Exceptions to being physically in Australia when lodging their claim include:

  • A cancelled payment which is restored after a successful appeal.
  • A claim under an international social security agreement (1.1.A.120).
  • Under SS(Admin)Act section 12 - when a person is transferred from one payment to another without the need to lodge a claim.

Note: Family assistance payments can be claimed from outside Australia, provided the person is an Australian resident.

Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) An Australian resident ā€¦

Last reviewed: