10.22.4.20 Where People can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Korea
Where claims can be lodged
Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement can be lodged:
- in Australia, at any Centrelink office, or
- in Korea, with the National Pension Service, and
- for certificate of coverage matters, the ATO or the National Pension Service in Korea.
Under Article 23, paragraph 2 of the Agreement, the date on which a claim is lodged with either of the above-mentioned authorities is the official date of lodgement for all purposes. This ensures that people not living in the country they are claiming from are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.
Article 23, paragraph 3 allows a claim for benefit under the legislation of a party to also be considered as a claim for the 'corresponding' benefit from the other party provided that the person:
- is entitled on age grounds to lodge a valid claim for a benefit of the other contracting party, and
- requests that it be considered as an application under the legislation of the other contracting party, or
- provides information indicating that periods of coverage have been completed under the legislation of the other contracting party.
Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 21 Republic of Korea