The Guides to Social Policy Law is a collection of publications designed to assist decision makers administering social policy law. The information contained in this publication is intended only as a guide to relevant legislation/policy. The information is accurate as at the date listed at the bottom of the page, but may be subject to change. To discuss individual circumstances please contact Services Australia. Where People can Lodge Claims under the Agreement with Korea

Where claims can be lodged

Claims for Australian benefits covered by the Agreement can be lodged:

  • in Australia, at any Centrelink office, or
  • in Korea, with the National Pension Service, and
  • for certificate of coverage matters, the ATO or the National Pension Service in Korea.

Under Article 23, paragraph 2 of the Agreement, the date on which a claim is lodged with either of the above-mentioned authorities is the official date of lodgement for all purposes. This ensures that people not living in the country they are claiming from are not disadvantaged as a result of mailing delays.

Article 23, paragraph 3 allows a claim for benefit under the legislation of a party to also be considered as a claim for the 'corresponding' benefit from the other party provided that the person:

  • is entitled on age grounds to lodge a valid claim for a benefit of the other contracting party, and
  • requests that it be considered as an application under the legislation of the other contracting party, or
  • provides information indicating that periods of coverage have been completed under the legislation of the other contracting party.

Act reference: SS(IntAgree)Act Schedule 21 Republic of Korea

Last reviewed: