18.104.22.168 Notification & Recipient Obligations for Age
Notifiable events for Age
In addition to the common notifiable events, Age recipients must notify Centrelink within the 14-day notification period, if any of the following events occur, or are likely to occur:
- the recipient or their partner:
- buy or sell shares or managed investments, or
- receive bonus shares, or
- start new accounts, or
- have combined assets of more than the amount specified, or
- receive a lump sum amount or one-off payment, or
- move into or out of a nursing home (1.1.N.140), hostel or retirement village (1.1.R.270), or
- are charged with an offence and placed in prison or a psychiatric institution, or
- gifts more than $2,000 worth of assets in an income year, or
- sell assets for less than their value, or
- receives an overseas pension, or
- receives maintenance or an increase in maintenance, or
- receives other government payments ,such as another social security payment or a DVA payment, or
- starts employment, including self-employment, or
- changes their employment, or
- the recipient:
- decides to travel overseas and their travel may impact on their entitlement or rate of payment after an absence of more than 6 weeks, or
- marries, separates or divorces, or
- rents or sells their home, or purchases another, or
- leaves the home for more than 12 months.
Exception: Compensation receipt must be notified within 7 days after the day on which the person becomes aware that he or she has received, or is to receive, a compensation payment.
Some notification and recipient obligations are common to MOST payments, and are explained in the SS(Admin)Act Part 3, Division 6.
Act reference: SS(Admin)Act Part 3 Division 6 Requirement to provide information, undergo medical examination etc.
Comparable foreign payment (1.1.C.230)
The Secretary of the Department may require a recipient or their partner, to take reasonable action to obtain a CFP, if:
- the recipient is likely to be entitled to a CFP, AND
- has not applied for the payment.
Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 66 Notice to obtain foreign payment, section 40 Rejection of claim for failure to obtain foreign payment
Policy reference: SS Guide 22.214.171.124 Reasonable Action Requirements
Employer reporting for business services for Age recipients
With the recipient's consent, employer reporting allows the business service to report their Age employee's wage details directly to Centrelink on a regular basis. The amount reported by the employer is taken to be the income of the person in the fortnight, i.e. it is the amount received not earned for business services recipients.