220.127.116.11 Qualification for CA during Overseas Travel
Care receiver and/or carer overseas
A carer remains qualified for payment of CA in the following situations:
- they travel overseas temporarily for a period that does not exceed 6 weeks,
- they travel overseas without the child care receiver, leaving the care receiver in the care of their partner, for a period that does not exceed 6 weeks,
- their child care receiver is temporarily absent from Australia, without their carer or the carer's partner and, the 63 days temporary cessation of care provisions (18.104.22.168) are applied,
- the adult care receiver is temporarily absent from Australia without their carer and the 63 days temporary cessation of care provisions (22.214.171.124) are applied.
Generally, care receivers on certain income support payments may be paid overseas during the following periods:
- 4 weeks in a 12-month period for most DSP recipients (excluding those with indefinite portability),
- 6 weeks for other working-age income support recipients (126.96.36.199),
- indefinite portability for recipients of Age, entitled WP and WidB, and DSP (with unlimited portability).
If the carer or care receiver does not intend to resume the care situation, CA ceases from date of departure.
Act reference: SSAct section 956 Absence from Australia, section 957 (4) Cessation of care in order to undertake training etc., section 1217(4) Meaning of portability period if maximum portability period limited
Policy reference: SS Guide 188.8.131.52 Application of Portability Rules (Portability Table)